Posted in General on March 23, 2012 |
4 Comments »
The Ditmar Award nomination period has opened, and Angry Robot Books are offering their three Australian novels for half-price in the electronic form. This is a great way to catch up on Jo Anderton’s Debris, Trent Jamieson’s Roil and my Mistification, if you are thinking about casting a vote in the novel section.
I read Debris in MS form and provided a blurb, so you know I love it. I’ll be buying Roil, because I love Trent’s work. Jo is eligible for Best New Talent. Having read a number of her stories when I acted as her mentor, I think she’s a remarkable writer with a huge future.
My other eligible work:
“The Five Loves of Ishtar”, from Gilgamesh Press’ Ishtar . This book also contains the brilliant novellas “And the Dead Shall Outnumber the Living” (nominated for an Aurealis Award) by Deborah Biancotti and ‘The Sleeping and the Dead’ by Cat Sparks.
The book itself is eligible for the collected works Ditmar, and is nominated for the Aurealis Award.
“All You Can Do is Breathe” from Ellen Datlow’s “Blood and Other Cravings”. This story is nominated for a Bram Stoker award (she says casually) and will be reprinted in Prime’s Year’s Best Dark Fantasy and Horror.
“The List of Definite Endings” from Ellen Datlow’s “Teeth”.
If you are a voter who would like to read either of these stories, contact me and I’ll email a copy.
You can cast your votes here
A list of most eligible works is here
Read Full Post »
Posted in General on March 21, 2012 |
Leave a Comment »
A very business-like update.
Interviews, guest blogs, podcasts
- I’ll be appearing via Skype at Schuler Books (Lansing, Michigan) to talk about Slights with the Fanged Fiction Book Group. Here, I revisit some of the books I talk about in Slights.
- I talk about writing, short stories and covers at David McDonald’s blog. He has some lovely guest posts there.
- My Friday Five, over at PornoKitsch, will appear this Friday. Can’t wait to see what Jared and Anne come up with!
- This is very cool indeed! The podcast Tales To Terrify is playing all six of the Stoker Award Nominated short stories over the next two episodes. My story appears here, alongside Adam Troy Castro and Gene O’Neill. Next is Stephen King, George Saunders and Ken Lillie-Paetz.
- I went to the wonderful Electric Shadows bookshop to hear Marion Halligan read. I love her work. It’s filled with humour and a sharp observation of human behaviour. Here we are in City News trying to hide our wine!
- Abbey’s Bookshop in Sydney has posted a list of women writer’s to watch for. Very pleased to see my name there!
Publications out now
- My story “The Five Loves of Ishtar” appears in the Aurealis-nominated Ishtar (edited by Amanda Pillar and K.V. Taylor), alongside Cat Sparks and Deb Biancotti.
- “The River of Memory”, my Zombies vs Robots story, is out now.
- “The Lighthouse Keeper’s Club”, in Exotic Gothic 4, edited by Danel Olson, from PS Publishing.
- “The History Thief”, in Visions Fading Fast, edited by Gary McMahon, from Pendragon Press.
- “Blame the Neighbours”, in Slices of Flesh, edited by Stan Swanson, from Dark Moon Books.
- “All You Can Do Is Breathe reprint”, in The Year’s Best Dark Fantasy and Horror, 2012, edited by Paula Guran, from Prime Books.
- “The Pickwick Syndrome”, in Pandemonium: Stories of the Smoke, edited by Anne C. Perry and Jared Shurin. That’s the illustration for my story!
- “The Unwanted Women of Surrey”, in Queen Victoria’s Book of Spells, edited by Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling, from Tor Books.
- Through Splintered Walls, my short story collection, edited by Alisa Krasnostein, from Twelfth Planet Press.
Read Full Post »